In this position, the employee will be assigned to a natural gas pipe installation crew to assist in daily operations. Prefer to have experience in operating single/ tandem dump trucks and working on gas pipeline & service line construction projects. Person is expected to be able to perform extensive labor duties outside in various weather climates, and drive CDL required vehicles as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Drive vehicles such as dump truck, large truck and trailer, equipment haulers, etc. in excess of 26,000 lbs. to haul Equipment, Pipe, Other Materials, Debris, etc
- Loading, Unloading, and Securing equipment and materials; use of Chains, Ratchet Straps, tarps etc. to secure loads
- Daily pre-shift vehicle and equipment inspections, including any required forms
- Keeping daily log, if required
- Laboring on water crew, especially hand shoveling/digging
- Heavy/Repeated lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Working in extreme weather conditions
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Valid CDL-A Driver’s License with driving record meeting Company Fleet Policy Standards
- Preferred skills and knowledge of installation of new gas services or mains
- Skill to operate vehicle in close proximity to workers and underground utilities, familiar with the Tri-State area.
- Ability to interact with public, supervisors, and coworkers professionally at all times
- Possess a strong work ethic with a commitment to safety and excellence
- Ability to comprehend and communicate specific directions to ensure the safety of all
- Ability to tolerate working in extreme weather conditions
- Distinguish safety colors with 20/20 eyesight, if necessary using corrective lenses
- Withstand prolonged and repeated: lifting (including overhead, up to 50lbs); standing; climbing; kneeling; reaching and feeling; crouching and crawling
- Ability to work with a heightened awareness within the “red zone” of heavy equipment
- Flexibility to work various locations and schedules with the ability to travel, stay late or even overnight when necessary, with little or no notice
- Possess and ability to maintain a valid DOT medical card
Required Education and Experience
- Valid CDL-A License for > 1 year
- CDL-A driving/operating experience > 1 year
- Heavy physical laborer experience > 3 years
Preferred, but not required
- Valid CDL-A License for > 2 years
- CDL-A driving experience > 2 years
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Safely operate mini-excavator, skid steer or other heavy equipment and excavate near or around underground utilities.
CJ Hughes is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, disability or protected veteran status.