C.J. Hughes is currently seeking an experienced operator for our Water and Sewer department. In this position, the successful candidate will be responsible for operating heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Heavy equipment may include large and small excavators, dozers, skid steers, etc., and other pieces of equipment. The Operator must operate and maintain heavy motorized equipment used in earth moving in a safe and efficient manner, including in town and hill work, and any other duties as required. This position also requires working in extreme weather conditions while performing a substantial amount of intense physical labor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must have 1-3 years of operating and experience laying water mains. (Example 3’ – 8’ Trench Depths).
- Highly Proficient in operating heavy power-driven equipment, including dozers, excavators, and other pieces of heavy equipment.
- Working skills and knowledge of pipeline construction and maintenance techniques.
- Working skills and knowledge of trenching, earthmoving and compaction techniques.
- Working skills and knowledge of grades and blueprints.
- Must be capable of safely taking initiative and maximizing productivity when excavating in a city street environment. Observant and cautious when excavating around existing utilities. Observant and cautious when excavating in a city street environment.
- Must have experience in placement and connections of of PVC & Ductile Iron piping. (Typically, 2” – 24” Sizes. Can be larger diameter at times).
- Must pass and maintain all required operator tests and operator qualifications
- Must be able to work independently and as a crew member
- Knowledge of underground utilities and locator markings
- Skill to operate equipment in close proximity to workers and underground utilities
- Ability to think clearly no matter the stress or difficulty of your circumstances
- Possess a strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
- Ability and commitment to working safely
- CDL License preferred
- Must pass pre-employment screening, including drug screening, MVR, and provide 2 forms of I.D. required for I-9 authorization
- High School Diploma or GED (preferred)
- Working knowledge of grades and blueprints.
- CDL License preferred
- 1-3 years’ experience as an operator laying water mains
- Provide US work authorization documents for I-9 form
- MVR satisfying Company Fleet Vehicle Policy requirements
- Satisfactory Criminal History Check (if required by customer)
CJ Hughes is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, disability or protected veteran status.